This one popped right out at me. Chapter Thirteeeeeen, “Do What You Love and The Healing will Follow”.
5 – The Law of Intention and Desire
Inherent in every intention and desire is the mechanics for its fulfillment. Make a list of desires. Trust that when things don’t seem to go your way, there is a reason.
You certainly can’t expect to win any battle or heal any wounds if you don’t wish for it. Wishing is a powerful weapon in our arsenal. What does the Law of Intention and Desire mean in the context of teh C hCard and me? I think it means Having something to look forward to also helps us trudge past the things me must do. People push themselves through college by thinking about the great career they will be able to launch by waving their degree at recruiters. That guy who raised his hand for the double shifts is thinking about the boat he’s saving up for and the big fish he plans to catch from it or the girl he plans to impress. We all need something to look forward to, to help us push through. Putting it down in black and white doesn’t automatically mean it’ll happen, but it is definitely a step further than before and helps to solidify the intent.
I don’t know that I was much of a list maker before, but nowadays I do it without thinking (kind of like how I talk or swear). The other day I started out writing a simple note to a local radio host I was hoping to read/review the book and ended the letter with an impromptu wish list (in order of probability):
- Read my book (and like it/find it meaningful)
- Listen to my CD (and like it, apart from the flaws)
- Listen to Keen’s CD (and like it , he knows he needs to breathe more, he’s working on it)
- Review my book and spread the word on it
- Interview me about the book on the radio
- Interview me and Keen and our story about the book and our music on KPRI
- Invite each us each perform a song live on the show
- Be so impressed with my photography that KPRI hires me to cover private gigs with cool artists
- Be so impressed with both of us that we each get invited to open for an act at one of the freeq shows one day soon.
- Be so impressed with my radio voice/personality that I get hired on as a weekly guest host
“Trust that when things don’t go your way…”. I do think it’s important to accept that even though you’ve written it out in detail, from beginning to end, the whole enchilada, the nuts and bolts, peanut butter and jelly of your plan, it doesn’t mean you should be disheartened if it doesn’t turn out exactly as you’d hoped. Quite the opposite~ That’s the beauty of life, or as my mom used to say “Life is what happens when you’re making plans”. I mean seriously…do you think I would believe that everything on the list above was going to happen for me (or Keen)? Of course not, but at least I put it out there and what if…what if one or two happened? That’s one or two more than before…
So many elements are unpredictable like the weather or the value of the dollar or the health, or availability of the people you plan to do this thing you’re looking forward to with. If you don’t already, you’ve gotta learn to roll with the punches, to bob and weave your way through if you expect to have any energy left to enjoy it when the good stuff comes and thinking back, weren’t some of the greatest moments of your life so far the ones you least expected…?